My mum has been making this slice for as long as I can remember! It was a regular in our lunch boxes and at family gatherings as we were growing up.
Its a quick and easy slice that everyone loves as it is not overly sweet, and who doesn't love chocolate.
This slice is loved by my own children and its one Ive made regularly as it does not contain eggs. As we all know allergies in children are on the rise with egg and peanut allergies being the most common. So as a mother whom found herself with a young child allergic to eggs this slice became very popular. Its also one recipe a lot of my friends have asked for because of this fact alone, never mind the sensational taste.
Chocolate Fudge & Coconut Slice
YOU WILL NEEDSlice
185g butter melted
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons coconut (extra)
1 cup icing sugar mixture
2 tablespoons cocoa
30g butter melted
1 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
- Grease a rectangular slice pan and line with baking paper allowing the sides to over hang.
- Combine melted butter, caster sugar, coconut, sifted flour, vanilla essence, and sifted cocoa in a bowl and mix well with a spoon and then scrape down sides with a spatula to ensure ingredients are fully combined.
- Spoon combined mixture in to slice pan and press base down evenly in to pan.
- Bake in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until slice bounces back slightly when pressed in the centre.
- To make the icing combine sifted icing sugar mixture, sifted cocoa, melted butter and hot water in a bowl and stir to combine, scrape down sides with a spatula to ensure ingredients are fully combined.
- Spread icing evenly over the hot / warm slice with a spatula or palette knife and then sprinkle the top of slice with extra coconut.
- Allow slice to cool in pan.
- When slice is cool run a knife around the edge of slice to loosen if necessary and then lift slice out of pan using the edges of the baking paper and then cut slice into squares and serve.