Saturday 15 September 2012

Apple Shortcake



Lots of things have happened this week, its been a busy one! I finally found time however to have a play around with my NEW camera (can you tell I'm excited?). I got myself an Olympus PEN - EP3. The aim is to learn all the functions, read all the photography blogs and tutorials and become a phenomenal photographer - well we will see about the last one. The point being that although I'm still on the 'auto' setting Ive used my new camera for the above photo and am really happy with the shots I'm getting.

Anyway, on to the apple shortcake. Whenever I decide to make something my options for finding the right recipe are either to go to google or to my mum for recommendations. This time I went to mum. Ive made one apple pie before. After making the pastry myself and then peeling apples, stewing apples and assembling the pie I was very disappointed with the taste and texture. So mum gave me a recommendation for an apple and passionfruit shortcake recipe she has made from a Womens Weekly Cookbook. Am I the only person that just cant a leave a recipe alone? Well after a few tweaks I made My Apple Shortcake which was anything but disappointing!

Enjoy xxx

Apple Shortcake


YOU WILL NEED

125g butter at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg at room temperature
3/4 cup self raising flour
400g can dessert apples
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon sugar (extra)
extra sugar for sprinkling


DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until pale and creamy. Add 1 egg and mix until combined, scraping down sides as necessary.
  3. Add sifted flour to butter mix in two batches and fold through until combined.
  4. Turn mixture out on to a piece of glad wrap / cling wrap and use the cling wrap to help bring the mixture together in to a ball. Add a little flour if necessary to stop dough from sticking and knead lightly until smooth. Divide dough in half and cover with cling wrap before placing in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  5. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
  6. When dough has chilled remove from fridge and roll each piece in to a 20cm round between 2 sheets of baking paper. Press one circle of dough in to the base of the cake tin, leaving the other circle aside for now.
  7. In a small bowl combine apple, lemon rind and mixed spice, mixing carefully so as not to mush the apples.
  8. Spread apple mix over dough in tin leaving a small border around the edge. Sprinkle the top of the apple mix with the teaspoon of extra sugar.
  9. Place the second round of dough over the apple mixture and then press the edges together carefully.
  10. Now brush the top of the dough with water and lightly sprinkle some sugar over the top. Place the shortcake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes to bake until golden. 
  11. Stand shortcake in the tin for at least 30 minutes before removing from tin. Apple shortcake can be served warm or cold and is great with a dollop of whipped cream.
(Adapted from Australian Womens Weekly, Best Recipes from The Weekly cookbook )

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment