Lemon Syrup Cake
YOU WILL NEEDCake
185g unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon rind
3 eggs at room temperature
2/3 cup buttermilk (see tip)
1/4 cup of lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
thin lemon rind strips to decorate
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
- Grease a deep 22cm baba pan generously.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a mixer until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition until combined, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Stir buttermilk and lemon juice in a jug.
- Add buttermilk mix to butter mix and then stir in flour in 2 batches until all combined.
- Spoon mix in to prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula.
- Cook in oven for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Once cooked stand cake in pan for 5 minutes, then turn cake out on to a wire rack. Immediately return cake to the pan. Using a skewer pierce cake all over.
- To make lemon syrup, combine all ingredients in a medium pan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring syrup to the boil without stirring. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the warm cake in the pan. Allow cake to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes so that syrup can soak in. Cake can be served warm at this point or allowed to cool completely in the pan.
- Turn cake out onto a serving plate. Decorate with dusting sugar and lemon rind.